I am going to be building a new gaming rig. Let me know what you think.

FallenHoot

Yes, definitely a bigger SSD and I would go even bigger than 240GB I had a 240GB and burnt through that in no time with all new games I would go with 500+ also your RAM you might want to check heights on the sticks because your cooler is going to take up quite a bit of space I am using the Frio OCK which just fits with my RAM which is the GSkill ripjaws which are nice. Other than those points should be a good rig.

Yea Fallen, the CPU cooler weighs more than 2 lbs I can tell you that for sure, but it is extremely well designed with the mounting, absolutely no problem warping the motherboard or anything, you just have to make sure the motherboard is also mounted well to the case.

Because if he wants max performance in his games and other programs he will install them on his SSD.  I assume he won't want to uninstall games to install others.  HDD should be mostly just storage (music/movies/documents etc.)

Sure putting just OS on the SSD makes the OS fast but it doesn't help the read/write speeds of the programs on the HDD which will hinder the experience. The PC is only as good as its weakest link.  In this case its the HDD.  If i was paying that kind of $$ for a new PC I would not skimp out SSD storage.. I also have a 120GB SSD and I have space issues all the time but I'm sure as hell not playing a game off my HDD anymore.

With all that being said I'm sure he would be fine with putting games on the HDD but to each his own.

I understand that... read/write speeds only effect the opening/closing of the games your playing. If you had big suite software like CAD or adobo suite then that I would put on the SSD but not steam and all of the games it has since it is not effected at all. Especially CS which is heavily cpu dependent anyways

Yea, running games on an SSD is so incredibly overrated.  I mean sure maybe it helps the game load up quicker, and lets be honest, my games might load in 1 second instead of the 2 seconds it currently does, but when it comes to actual in game performance running a game on a regular HDD is not going to be bottlenecking anything, as I've already stated I run pretty much all my games exclusively from my HDD's and it has zero impact on my performance.  I'll save the money and get drastically more GB/$ with a regular drive.

To each his own :)

Yea I completely understand what you guys are saying.  Just an OCD i have when it comes to load times.  Once I put D3 on my SSD.. loading zones was not even a snap of a finger and I particularly love that.  If I'm putting 2k into a new rig you're damn right I'm getting a bigger SSD than 120GB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167126

I should just get this. :D

SSD can read/write in like 0.07 milliseconds and HDD can read in .7-.30 milliseconds seconds. 

I understand that SSD will make my boot time a lot faster, but I can always get another SSD in the future. They will drop in price before I need that. 

20GB for WIndows 7 (SSD)

14GB for StarCraft 2 (SSD)

25GB for Steam (SSD)

20GB? for my Users folder (which will be moved to my HDD) 

??GB of my Virtual Machines that I have for work/personal use.

60GB on the SSD is nothing. I am going to split my HDD into three partitions 1.5TB (storage) 1.0TB (Virtual Machines, I have alot), and 500GB (User folder, download folder, and other programs.). I have three external 500GB hard drives filled with work/school shit. 

That is my plan. 

If I price it out good. My build will be about $1,850.00. 

You have to remember that I am going to be buying a $150 dollar monitor. $1,700.00 is not so bad. 

I just built this yesterday it rocks!  Fired up first push of the power button.

N82E16812119474 CBL RW SATAIII M/M BK 1.64FT R 3 3.49 N82E16813128514 MB GIGABYTE|GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ R 1 139.99 N82E16832116986 MS WIN 7 HOME SP1 64BIT 1PK - OEM 1 99.99 N82E16814125422 VGA GIGABYTE|GV-N680OC-2GD GTX680 R 1 469.99 N82E16817139010 PSU CORSAIR| HX750 750W RT 1 129.99 N82E16819113284 CPU AMD|8-CORE FX-8350 4.0G 8M R 1 199.99 N82E16820233398 SSD 240G|CORSAIR CSSD-N240GBGTXB-BK 1 219.99 N82E16827136259 DVD BURN LG | GH24NS95 % 1 17.99 N82E16835100007 CPU THERMPASTE|AS5-3.5G % 1 7.99 N82E16833704162 WL ADPT TP-LINK| TL-WDN3800 R 1 34.99 N82E16820233281 MEM 8Gx2|CORSAIR CMZ16GX3M2A1866C9 1 129.99

I think you could make your money go farther Hoot just saying I spent under 2G and got and LG 27inch IPS diplay.  Scored 7.9 in windows experience and my rig is in the top ten percent on 3dmark.  Stick with corsair for memory, power supply, case, and SSD.  Opinions are like assholes everyone has one.  Later

There is only one thing that I could see your system being limited too, Your cpu may bottle neck your video card unless you plan on overclocking it, I have a 2 gig card with a 3.8 ghz cpu and even mine gets bottle necked some time and I get random frame drops in games. Just though I would suggest that :D

I will be overclocking the CPU and GPU. I do not think I need to do the RAM yet. 

My goal for the CPU is 4.4GHz and for the GPU bring it up to 25 watts.

If your going to overclock your CPU make sure you have a good Heatsink ALL copper by Zalman is best in my book and some ASUS boards will have pre overclock settings if you are new or dont want to mess with anything.

Ok Hoot... let me throw some ideas at you here. Are you planing on simply fps gaming on this rig? If so my old team wasn't aloud to use lcd/led/plasma monitors bc of the shadowing effects and the refresh will never be as good as a top notch crt. also evga and myself don't get along very well im more of a bfgtech fan there service seems to be alot better when it comes to part replacement and finally should look into having raptor drives for specific uses ie: 1 for music 1 for videos/movies 1 for gaming and use an external for storage of things that you just want to keep. Just considerations don't take my opinion to heart. if you have questions i can give you my specs for my LAN pc.

Yea, running games on an SSD is so incredibly overrated. I mean sure maybe it helps the game load up quicker, and lets be honest, my games might load in 1 second instead of the 2 seconds it currently does, but when it comes to actual in game performance running a game on a regular HDD is not going to be bottlenecking anything, as I've already stated I run pretty much all my games exclusively from my HDD's and it has zero impact on my performance. I'll save the money and get drastically more GB/$ with a regular drive.

One second of my life has been saved to own more noobs. Besides, 1 second in the real world is like 5 mins computer time, didn't you now? Do you even lift? COME AT ME BRO.

• 1 month later...

I apologize for taking a left turn, but I promise it will be brief.

I have an Alienware X51 that has a 180GB SSD. I'd like to add additional storage but I keep waffling between getting another SSD or an external HDD USB 3.0 to load other games onto so my SSD doesn't get jammed up. However, I also know that most external HDDs are 5400 rpm which is a problem regardless of USB 3.0 or not.

Does anyone know of a good 7200rpm external HDD USB 3.0 that they can recommend?

I would buy another SSD. Get a 250+ GB for about $130. You will have two SSD. You can transfer everything to the big one. I would also buy a 1 or 2 TB HDD for about $80-100. You can store music or pictures on that. That will free up some space. 

I would buy another SSD. Get a 250+ GB for about $130. You will have two SSD. You can transfer everything to the big one. I would also buy a 1 or 2 TB HDD for about $80-100. You can store music or pictures on that. That will free up some space. 

250GB+ for $130? Where do you shop?! The closest I have seen is the Sandisk Extreme 240GB for $150. I already have a 1TB HDD that I have all my sensitive files, pictures and music on. :) Thanks for the suggestion!