I just have to get this off my chest....

SylenT

I disagree with your analogy. If/when the Red Wings have a prolonged period of average teams, Detroit will still be Hockey Town. That's just my opinion though.

Also, I think it's interesting that you think the Cowboys of the 90s were well-liked. From my recollection, most people [i]hated[/i] the Cowboys for their spending and, as some saw it, arrogance. That hatred has transferred to the modern era and produced an entire generation of Cowboy haters. And of course those people don't want the Cowboys being America's team, they're probably fans of their own team!

The fact is that the Cowboys have a nationwide following, are #4 on Forbes's list of most valuable sports franchises, and are [i]still[/i] called "America's Team" by sports announcers.

:D

It's all good, you can disagree. Many in the media call them "America's Team" while prefacing it by questioning whether they still ARE or SHOULD STILL BE "America's Team." Not one. The star players were popular, doesn't mean team management that spent a ton of money was popular. Those can be exclusive. Also, the cheerleaders are part of that conspiracy!

But saying the Cowboys are "America's Team" because someone "coined them" is like saying Bill Simmons coining Cleveland's sports teams as "God hates Cleveland" and the OKC Thunder as the "Zombie Sonics" should stick too. I simply disagree that one person making the comment makes it true for eternity.

Honestly, holding onto that title with what they've done is like the Cubs holding onto the "Lovable Losers" title. Without results for several years, being called America's Team and being mediocre to awful is more of an insult than anything else.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to pick a fight and I'm definitely not saying my team should get the title. But Mike Shanahan used to be considered a "playoff genius" by announcers and the media in the 90's with the Broncos and look at him now - he can't do squat now and he's 14-27 since taking over the Redskins with 1 playoff victory since his back-to-back SB wins in '97 and '98. Is he still "playoff genius"? He lost that title and in my opinion, the Cowboys lost theirs long ago too. Same goes for the Wings when they start to tank again. Before we were "Hockeytown," when I was really small people called them the "Dead Wings." That title was lifted and has carried due to results, not net worth.

And if you disagree, I will pay Albert Haynesworth a $5 foot long sub to stomp your head. Just sayin' :P

[quote name='Hollow Clipz' timestamp='1352225631' post='3021']
raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaage

We'll agree to disagree
[/quote]

DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO! RAGE! ;) It's all good, I'm a football fan but I'm not a diehard that picks fights over things that don't truly matter more than people. I'm just glad I got to dig on Sylent about Pat LaFontaine. My life is complete. :)

[quote name='Puss in Boots' timestamp='1352226972' post='3024']
DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO! RAGE! ;) It's all good, I'm a football fan but I'm not a diehard that picks fights over things that don't truly matter more than people. I'm just glad I got to dig on Sylent about Pat LaFontaine. My life is complete. :)
[/quote]

Hey theres nothing wrong with pat! <3.

[quote name='Walking-Decoy' timestamp='1352491248' post='3270']
Go Bucs!! AMERICAS ONLY FOOTBALL TEAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
[/quote]

Dougie Martin babyyyy! Talk about fantasy points! Glad he's on my team ha