Server Update 10/1/2012

The server is updating as we speak, as soon as it completes it will restart. Probably only a few more minutes.

From Valve:

[media]http://youtu.be/kgQzB1pJmeM[/media]

Today’s update includes two maps (de_vertigo and ar_monastery), a wide range of fixes, and an overhaul of the matchmaking for the Classic Competitive mode.

Update: New Matchmaking & Maps
1 OCT 2012 –
Today’s update includes two maps (de_vertigo and ar_monastery), a wide range of fixes, and an overhaul of the matchmaking for the Classic Competitive mode.

Matchmaking FAQ
To get you started with the first version of the revamped Classic Competitive mode, here are answers to some common questions about the system:

What’s different in Classic Competitive?
Up until today all of the game modes have used a ‘Join in Progress’ matchmaking system. As of today, Classic Competitive will use a ‘Queue’ matchmaking system.

When you search for a Competitive game, either from the Find a Game menu or the Play with Friends menu, you will be put in a queue. When we identify 10 compatible players then your match will start. If you get disconnected then you should use the Reconnect button on the main menu. We’ll be monitoring and tuning the system over the time.
How do I begin a Competitive match?
There are two easy ways to get into a match. If you’re playing on your own, just use the standard “Find A Game” option and choose the Classic Competitive mode. You’ll automatically be added to the queue and will join a match as soon as one is ready.
If you’re looking to join a match with a larger group, choose the “Play With Friends” option and invite up to four additional teammates. You’ll join a queue together and will enter a match on the same team.

What happens if I disconnect?
If you disconnect from your match then you can rejoin the in-progress match from the CS:GO main menu. You also have the option to abandon your match, although this is considered poor sportsmanship and is recorded.

What happens if I abandon my match?
If you abandon a match then Classic Competitive will be unavailable for 30 minutes.

Is it possible to join a match in progress?
Only if it’s a match that you previously disconnected from. Otherwise the only way to enter a Classic Competitive match is from the start, using one of the methods mentioned above.

Can I invite my friends into a Classic Competitive match?
You can invite friends into your pre-game lobby using the Play With Friends menu item but you cannot invite friends into a match after it has started.

In Classic Competitive, can I pick which side I play on? (T or CT)
No. When a match begins, you will be assigned to a team (if you join with your friends, you will all be on the same team). After 15 rounds the teams switch sides, so you will always have the opportunity to play both sides of a map.

How does the match end?
Matches are best-of-30, and end either when one team wins 16 rounds, or all 30 rounds are played.

Can we vote in Classic Competitive?
The only vote option available in Classic Competitive is ‘Kick player.’ At the end of the match you’ll be presented with a vote to ‘rematch,’ which requires 10 votes to pass. If any one player abandons the match, the option to rematch won’t be presented.

How does my Elo score factor into the new matchmaking?
We’ll be recalibrating Elo in the coming weeks and are temporarily removing it from the UI. As we recalibrate, we’ll be matching players of all skills to collect better data and test various Elo models.

Vertigo was an awesome add! Haven't played this map in forever! Also Gallitin did you get the map downloading issue fixed? it didn't look like anyone dropped or had an issue with loading right after we switched we still had a full server. Carl showed me some pretty sweet tricks for Cts on vertigo this morning. Too bad i can't seem to pull them off haha!

I was only having issues with that on custom maps. Since de_vertigo is stock from valve, when you client updates you get the map automatically. Still working on the download issue for custom maps.