So there was this hacker........

And he was able to change everyone's name on the server, assumes those names and switch to another name. Within seconds he would go thru the entire server assuming names, swapping names. I have no idea how to stop something like that. It seemed impossible to identify exactly which person was doing this. My quick solution, was to kick everyone. It worked, in as far as the hacker was kicked and did not come back. The server was already dying, due to the hacker, so I wasn't to worried about that. I should have demo'd it so you guys could understand exactly what I'm talking about, but I was trying to stop the insanity as quick as possible. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up. If anyone has a solution to this, please explain.

Google suggested:

[quote]
When you see someone like that type status in console. Find the two names that are the same and ban the one with the space in front of the name, that is how it works.
The name with a space is kinda hard to see which does make finding these hackers name a pain in the ass, even once you know this little trick.
[/quote]

I did ~status, but didn't know the above. Next time I'll keep it in mind.

[quote name='Dark Knight' timestamp='1357680571' post='6411']
the hacker couldn't really change anyone's name..he assumed other's names, but i think the server logs should have that in it if i remember them right.
[/quote]

Yea I get that he can't change the Steam name, only assume in-game identities. I was just trying to explaining what I saw.

Yes, as Christine said this has happened before and it caused the server to lag he was changing his name so quickly.

It wouldn't even let me kick or ban him via HLSW, it was insane. Thankfully, as Google suggested if you do this and give the Steam ID of the correct hacker, Gallitin, Decoy or I can take care of it.