Everyone Please Read!

Hello my fellow OSG members. I wanted to inform you all the my network + is done with and i will be on evenings to play with everyone again :D sorry for not being on for the last 2 weeks that test is a killer lol. I also want to speak to the admins about my membership thank you for giving me another 2 weeks to play with everyone and get to know you all now that my test is done. :D hope to see you in game more over the next week and hope to get lots of play time in as well :D

Speaking of certifications if you guys are going for CISCO certs, I would reccommend you look at the Juniper Certification for basic switching.  I like Cisco but theres alot of people switching due to the fact that there cheaper but cheap doesn't mean there better...  CISCO forever lol

Speaking of certifications if you guys are going for CISCO certs, I would reccommend you look at the Juniper Certification for basic switching.  I like Cisco but theres alot of people switching due to the fact that there cheaper but cheap doesn't mean there better...  CISCO forever lol

IMHO other then a few syntacial differences if you get any networking cert rather it be cisco or Juniper, etc... You can work on any networking equipment, the main thing being the terminology.. Cisco calls it EtherChannel while everyone else calls it a Link Aggregation Group... Cisco calls it a trunk port while everyone else calls it a tagged port.. Etc.

IMHO other then a few syntacial differences if you get any networking cert rather it be cisco or Juniper, etc... You can work on any networking equipment, the main thing being the terminology.. Cisco calls it EtherChannel while everyone else calls it a Link Aggregation Group... Cisco calls it a trunk port while everyone else calls it a tagged port.. Etc.

You're right Goon.  Heck, I setup Cisco equipment all the time and I don't even have a cert.  Once you get the syntax down it just comes down to knowing what does what which can be Googled in five seconds if need be.

Buuuuuuut.. if you have certs you're worth more so says the world.

I know this is true, especially in the MSP/VAR environment like I'm in or hell even a stand alone IT shop can benefit from this.. If you hire a Cisco certified engineer the company can get in contact with Cisco and join the membership program which means they can get some fairly significant discounts when purchasing Cisco gear.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you seen the Cisco Certified Engineer exam lol, I know people and professors who can do this stuff in their sleep and they couldn't pass the Engineer exam. I know I want to start out getting my CCNA and possibly a security cert or the Cisco Wireless exam. Also, possibly a Microsoft server but most big companies I have seen tend to use Unix/Linux.