All of these Laagz

The sever has been lagging a lot lately. Most of the time it's good. Other days (like today for example) it's terrible. It's been ilke this on-and-off for a while. It isn't just me either. On days like today everyone complains about it. 

I really don't mean to complain. It isn't like this everyday. I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about it. Do we use a host, or does one of our members host the server? Who takes care of the files on the server? Why has it been like this lately? Is it possible to fix?

Just wondering, sorry if I come off bitchy. 

Does a restart usually fix the issues for a while?

Yes, sometimes the server just gets overwhelmed and needs a restart. My guess is that it's kind of like how shutting down your computer is better than leaving it on all the time because of memory leakage. If you just leave it on, it begins to slow down and some applications start acting funny or stop working altogether. Windows 7 and 8 are great at minimizing this, but it still needs a reset. Servers need it to clear information out.

Of course, if it is a server hosting issue, then no reset will fix it and a heat ticket would need to be entered.

Didn't the server used to automatically reset at like 6 am or something? I swear that used to be the case and if it still is then it will just have to be a think we monitor it a little better.

Maybe have an automated message on the server  during play- "If there are any server issues post on the forums at osgamers.net" or something

most people just go to a different server or something

Its been a pretty consistent problem for over a month now for me at the least.   I'm always getting around 5-10% choke with 1-2% loss at times, sometimes I get 0% choke and 0% loss but it never lasts.  Its not my system causing the problems, which I originally thought was the case.  I've been playing on other servers that are located further away and have 0 problems. There was some relief when Gallatin talked to Gameservers about it, but it doesn't seem to have lasted.  

Perhaps setting the automatic restart to be later in the day,  before prime time starts might be a temporary fix. 

Its been a pretty consistent problem for over a month now for me at the least.   I'm always getting around 5-10% choke with 1-2% loss at times, sometimes I get 0% choke and 0% loss but it never lasts.  Its not my system causing the problems, which I originally thought was the case.  I've been playing on other servers that are located further away and have 0 problems. There was some relief when called talked to Gameservers about it, but it doesn't seem to have lasted.  

Perhaps setting the automatic restart to be later in the day,  before prime time starts might be a temporary fix. 

Yup, I live pretty close to the server, but I seem to lag less than on some servers farther away.

And an automatic restart at like 6AM sounds really good to me. I don't think anyone plays the server in that time period and a restart everyday would probably help a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

They are telling me now they see no issue, only thing we can try is moving server, but will lose our IP address.  Do you think we should try?

They are telling me now they see no issue, only thing we can try is moving server, but will lose our IP address.  Do you think we should try?

The server lags pretty often for me. I don't know why. But I do see others complaining about it the same time I'm experiencing the lag.

Moving servers or server providers would probably fix it. You could change the name of the current server to something like, "Server Moved | Join XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:XXXX."

I am on board with moving.  I agree that if we change the current server's name to "moving to <new ip>" and then name the new server the same as this one we should have minimal causalities.  I think it would also help if we do move, that we play more pub time and only 10/5 man during non-peek hours at least till the server fills up, that way the server shows as having people in it and is more likely to keep us popular. 

=^.^=

I second that - I've had a much better experience with nuclear fallout in terms of customer service and performance in the past. It used to be that the cost for nfo was a lot more, but that isn't the case anymore. The only thing is that - to preserve traffic - it might be best to overlap the servers for a week or two or even a month (would it be worth the cost to maintain traffic? Possibly...) As kitty said, the old server should have the name changed to "We moved! New ip: 69.xxx.xx.xxxxx" - also, I don't know if SM admin has automatic/displayed messages available, but that would be helpful to spam that we are moving and the new ip, etc. in-game constantly. I'm sure there's  a way to auto-direct, but if we used that and without the messages, people won't know to change the server ip in their favorites or that we moved at all - they'd just seemingly be unable to connect after we switched for good, which would suck. Also like Kitty mentioned, we could ramp up the pub time to ensure that the transition is seamless. 

I think at this point that with how often this happens that it is a good idea to move the server over. It is getting to the point of killing the population and having to start from scratch each time it happens. When it happened so close to midnight, it wasn't able to recover.

If you decide to move the IP, I think we'd be OK first because it will be a 32 slot server and second because I think the membership of this clan would be happy to dedicate themselves to popularizing the new IP.

I second that - I've had a much better experience with nuclear fallout in terms of customer service and performance in the past. It used to be that the cost for nfo was a lot more, but that isn't the case anymore. The only thing is that - to preserve traffic - it might be best to overlap the servers for a week or two or even a month (would it be worth the cost to maintain traffic? Possibly...) As kitty said, the old server should have the name changed to "We moved! New ip: 69.xxx.xx.xxxxx" - also, I don't know if SM admin has automatic/displayed messages available, but that would be helpful to spam that we are moving and the new ip, etc. in-game constantly. I'm sure there's  a way to auto-direct, but if we used that and without the messages, people won't know to change the server ip in their favorites or that we moved at all - they'd just seemingly be unable to connect after we switched for good, which would suck. Also like Kitty mentioned, we could ramp up the pub time to ensure that the transition is seamless. 

Good idea with overlapping the servers.

Ok will make the move in the morning stay tuned. Only ~5/month difference in price. Will keep old server up for 1 pay cycle overlap so we can redirect traffic.