I am going to be building a new gaming rig. Let me know what you think.

FallenHoot

All I can say is.. damn I wish I had that kind of cash to throw at a new PC. Looks Solid to me at a quick glance.  If you're throwin around that kind of cash.. maybe get a bigger SSD.  The more shit you can throw on that baby the better.

I would highly suggest a better power supply with more capacity.  Your building a rig fairly similar to what I built last year, although I have a couple additional pieces, but I went with a 1050W PSU by Corsair, not saying you need to get that much, but 650W is cutting it pretty damn close, and you are leaving yourself no expansion room for the future such as SLI'd video cards, etc.

Additionally, perhaps your heart is dead set on the water cooling, but I find this to be an unnecessary thing, I went with the Noctua DH-14 CPU fan/heatsink (~$89 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018&Tpk=Noctua%20DH-14&IsVirtualParent=1).  This thing is an absolute monster for cooling, I have my 2600K processor OC'd to 4.8ghz with absolute stability and zero heating issues, its not loud by any means.  The only consideration for it is really its size, its pretty fucking large, weighing in at about 10lbs, and its HUGE.  Your case is exactly the same as what I have so I know it fits in that, but there are special considerations to be made when it comes to RAM physical size, mobo slot configuration, and the size of that heatsink, so you'd want to cross reference everything to ensure you'll be alright if you consider that option which I would recommend.

Thanks for the input etard. I have a EVGA GeForce 9800 GX2 1GB that I would like to SLI with the one in my build.

I did take your suggestion on the power supply. The only reason I had that power supply listed was because that is what I have in my current system. 

I do have my heart set on liquid cooling. The reviews that I have read about the two sold me on liquid cooling. 

As for Hollow. I need a computer monitor that will work in Europe. I will be moving to Europe next year.

:o

This thread is too rich for my blood. WOW! That's an impressive build. I will probably sound old fashioned when I say this but my rule of thumb is two-fold:

1) Future proof as best you can with your budget

2) Don't pay for top of the line because it's no longer top of the line in 3 months

I don't have a single bad thing to say about your rig.

Lookin' good. I have a very similar machine.

Although, I would suggestion this monitor :):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009H0XQPA/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1920x1080 resolution 27 inch monitor

Thats just no bueno in my perspective even if it is an ips monitor, I would rather give him one of the top of the line in the "gaming world" with a 144 refresh rate monitor at 24 inches. 

Warning about the monitor I posted or any gaming monitor with light boost (that includes the benqs) color is Aweful out of the box, definitely need to adjust it so if you do a lot of photoshopping or work with images in general for a hobby or job I would look into something else.

I usually don't recommend anyone spending over 2k with tower/mouse/speakers/monitor/etc... but if you have the cash to spend it is what it is. Budget doesn't matter so go for it.

Gaming Rig = Waste of Cash.

I assume your in college? Use the money to pay off your loans. Use half that money to build an okay gaming rig. Gaming Rigs are e-peens in a male dominated arena, and won't get you a bf/gf/partner. It's no car.

Gaming Rig = Waste of Cash.

I assume your in college? Use the money to pay off your loans. Use half that money to build an okay gaming rig. Gaming Rigs are e-peens in a male dominated arena, and won't get you a bf/gf/partner. It's no car.

Haha Butters. I will be graduating in three weeks from college. I have most of my college paid off before I started college. 

The girlfriend I have is a computer programmer and she likes this kinda stuff :D..

Thanks for the input

Found out about my Monitor issue and moving to Europe. My TV's will not work, so I am going to use my 32 inch for a computer monitor and my 40 inch for something else. I will buy a 24 inch monitor for this year and see if I can sell it before I leave.

Hey, some people just love gaming, haha. What he spends his money on is not our business. If you're okay with spending that money, spend away.

As for parts, if you're the type that wants to be able to use the same comp for the next 5 years without making any significant upgrades, you'll have to buy top of the line. If you wanna do that AND save decent amounts of cash, that'll chalk up to how dedicated and patient you are at hunting for deals. My brother made a computer that retails for at least $3000 for only $1700, but it took 6 months to get all the parts.

Also, if it's in your budget, SSD needs to have more space. Those 120 gbs go reaaaaally fast.

Because if he wants max performance in his games and other programs he will install them on his SSD.  I assume he won't want to uninstall games to install others.  HDD should be mostly just storage (music/movies/documents etc.)

Sure putting just OS on the SSD makes the OS fast but it doesn't help the read/write speeds of the programs on the HDD which will hinder the experience. The PC is only as good as its weakest link.  In this case its the HDD.  If i was paying that kind of $$ for a new PC I would not skimp out SSD storage.. I also have a 120GB SSD and I have space issues all the time but I'm sure as hell not playing a game off my HDD anymore.

With all that being said I'm sure he would be fine with putting games on the HDD but to each his own.

I would highly suggest a better power supply with more capacity.  Your building a rig fairly similar to what I built last year, although I have a couple additional pieces, but I went with a 1050W PSU by Corsair, not saying you need to get that much, but 650W is cutting it pretty damn close, and you are leaving yourself no expansion room for the future such as SLI'd video cards, etc.

Additionally, perhaps your heart is dead set on the water cooling, but I find this to be an unnecessary thing, I went with the Noctua DH-14 CPU fan/heatsink (~$89 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018&Tpk=Noctua%20DH-14&IsVirtualParent=1).  This thing is an absolute monster for cooling, I have my 2600K processor OC'd to 4.8ghz with absolute stability and zero heating issues, its not loud by any means.  The only consideration for it is really its size, its pretty fucking large, weighing in at about 10lbs, and its HUGE.  Your case is exactly the same as what I have so I know it fits in that, but there are special considerations to be made when it comes to RAM physical size, mobo slot configuration, and the size of that heatsink, so you'd want to cross reference everything to ensure you'll be alright if you consider that option which I would recommend.

Agreed.  Go with at least a 750W, for an SSD I would go with a samsung 840 pro or a OCZ and as a regular HDD Western Digital all the way.  Since you are getting a SSD you might want to think of doing a RAID, RAID 0 for speed.

Agreed. Go with at least a 750W, for an SSD I would go with a samsung 840 pro or a OCZ and as a regular HDD Western Digital all the way. Since you are getting a SSD you might want to think of doing a RAID, RAID 0 for speed.

Not OCZ. They may have a warranty, but expect that you may have to mail your shit back. My bro had to mail his back twice, then on the third time, he said "fuck this, im gonna sell this on ebay and buy from another brand"

I wouldnt worry too much about using an SSD harddrive to run your games, I have almost all of my gameinstalled on my secondary disk drives simply due to the volume of games I have, and it has minimal if any impact on my overall gaming experience when you otherwise have a high end gaming machine, but...to each his own :)

My rig is over a year old now, and I have yet to encounter a game that I can't play on super ultra maximum settings flawlessly, and I've absolutely never said to myself "oh geez I just have to have 120gb of extra SSD space for these games!"  Id much rather have 2TB of extra storage for my music, movies, and pr0n for that price :)

Also, since youve opted for the Noctua DH-14, I would highly suggest you make doubly sure that the motherboard, and RAM you chose will fit together without issue, because as I'm sure youve read the reviews, this is a MAJOR consideration as I previously mentioned, but you won't be disappointed with that choice.