I'm baaaaaacccccckkkkk bitches!

Walking-Decoy

Finally moved to Massachusettes and have my own apartment setup, started my new job (so awesomeeeee so far!!), and literally just now got internet up and running.

It's been a fun experience so far. Ended up leaving Tampa a little later then I wanted which resulted in me doing a 24 driving stint (Literally drove 10am to 10:30am) of around 1300 miles in one day in order to get here in time to give me a couple days to find a place. Found the perfect basement apartment which is way better than I even expected to get (I was looking for a room rental for between 500-600 a month with utilities since I didn't plan to be there that often).... found the place online, walked in, saw that rent was only $600 (All Utilities included!!) to have my own place and signed the lease right then and there.

Finally have everything unpacked and setup, and READY TO SHOOT SOME HEADS OFF!!!!

Oh and I drove in the snow for the first time of my life. Holy shit is that stuff scary. Figures that God would toss not only Hurricane Sandy at me while driving down here, but then give me a Nor'Easter to deal with 3 days in. Very funny Big Guy! But all in all, it's been a great experience and I can already tell how much of a huge jump working for a company like this is going to have on my career. The offices are gigantic, they have shuttles going from building to building all the time so you dont have to move your car, they subsidize the cafeterias (I got a huge turkey\ham wrap, chips, fries, a large soda, and a brown for $4.31) so food is super cheap....and etc. etc. etc...

Anyways, this place is often so far aside from snow driving. I was skidding ALL over the place and barreling toward someone when your car is desperately taking advantage of it's anti-lock breaks is not a fun feeling. Anyone got any hidden tips for snow driving? I slowed down considerably and nearly tripled my follow distance..and started VERY slowly pushing on the break and it seemed to get better, but I still was sliding at times... Heck I was in KMart parking lot and going to turn down a isle to park, going 12mph, and started sliding... I was like.. "IS THERE NO SAFE SPEEEEED"?

Pwn you guys soon :)

Chaaaaaarrrrrrrgeeee!

lol glad everything is going well and that you like the new place and job.

Snow makes me laugh but road rage more. I never understood why people slowed down so much when driving in the snow. Always made me furious. All you have to do is be smart. Like you said increase distance between cars and slow down sooner so you aren't slamming on your breaks, but who knows I'm from Indiana maybe i can get away with that since there is considerable less traffic?

What kind of car do you have? RWDs are very tough in the snow, you have to be extremely conservative with that throttle pedal. If you have a FWD or AWD car... well you're just not a good driver then... ;) With winter coming up quickly, spend some more time in those parking lots learning the limits of grip for your vehicle. If need be, get snow tires/studded snows. Get yourself some stuff to put in the trunk to help dig you out if you get snowed in. Some warm stuff too and extra water. Always be prepared!

Damn nice work getting an EMC job too, by the way. Talk about a great name on the resume!

Welcome back! As a person in Michigan, WELCOME TO WINTER WEATHER IN THE EAST/MIDWEST. It's fantastically scary and it is in your best interest to drop $500 on good snow tires. Not joking. It will save you money in the long run and be a huge improvement compared to Florida where you can pretty much drive with bald tires lol.

Welcome back and congrats on the move/job.. I never like driving in the snow. Especially when I had my BMW, RWD is scary and I was fishtailing going 10mph.

If you're also RWD I would suggest going to a Lowes or Home Depot and buying a lot of sandbangs for your trunk. Also, new all season tires would help as well.

I love driving in snow. Unfortunately you'll find most people tend to forget how to drive in it every year. People in buffalo are morons. How can you live in buffalo and forget what snow is. You'll get used to it.

Glad things are going well for you. Welcome back!

[quote name='Gallitin' timestamp='1352396330' post='3167']
$600 a month is a steal is it in the basement of someone's house?

Snow driving is fun in a truck. Did you take the honda or rx?
[/quote]
It's actually a large-ish 3 story house with a basement that was converted so each floor has it's own apartment. This apt was recently done to boot so everything is new. I was looking at room rentals for 500-550 (run down rooms too!) so 600 with utilities included for my own 1BR apt is such a steal. Especially since I found out after working that I wont be doing the hotel stays I previously thought I was... My location is pretty central to where I'll be working so I'll just be driving (I'll still get mileage perks which I'll use to pay off my car even faster)....

I took the Honda.. .The Z is still in Tampa for now.
[quote name='Puss in Boots' timestamp='1352396363' post='3168']
Welcome back! As a person in Michigan, WELCOME TO WINTER WEATHER IN THE EAST/MIDWEST. It's fantastically scary and it is in your best interest to drop $500 on good snow tires. Not joking. It will save you money in the long run and be a huge improvement compared to Florida where you can pretty much drive with bald tires lol.
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm def. thinking about getting snow tires. I'll give it one more "Oh crap I'm sliding" and if it's not my fault I'll get snow tires. As it stands I have all weather tires.

Chaaaaaarrrrrrrgeeee!

[quote name='Gohda' timestamp='1352395990' post='3164']
What kind of car do you have? RWDs are very tough in the snow, you have to be extremely conservative with that throttle pedal. If you have a FWD or AWD car... well you're just not a good driver then... ;) With winter coming up quickly, spend some more time in those parking lots learning the limits of grip for your vehicle. If need be, get snow tires/studded snows. Get yourself some stuff to put in the trunk to help dig you out if you get snowed in. Some warm stuff too and extra water. Always be prepared!

Damn nice work getting an EMC job too, by the way. Talk about a great name on the resume!
[/quote]
Thanks! Working for EMC is such an awesome boost to the resume! What's even better is on top of working for EMC, I'll be doing projects for other companies since I'll be a kind of consultant type person that will train EMC's customers on their products... So my resume will have EMC plus the likes of large companies like CVS Pharmacy for example, which may be my first gig if I can get training done in time. So it's pretty freaking awesome. Still have no clue how I managed to talk my way into this company, lol.

Chaaaaaarrrrrrrgeeee!

Hahaha great now everytime I go into this thread that voice is going to be stuck in my head.
[quote name='Zolyrica' timestamp='1352402541' post='3182']
God damn it the only thing I could think of when I read the title was
[media]http://youtu.be/7MJSpgSnX24[/media]
[/quote]

Chaaaaaarrrrrrrgeeee!